8.27.2004

several things

Thing number one: More Radiohead

Backdrifts

We're rotten fruit
We're damaged goods
What the hell, we've got nothing more to lose
One gust and we will probably crumble
We're backdrifters

This far but no further
I'm hanging off a branch
I'm teetering on the brink
Oh honey sweet
So full of sleep
I'm backsliding

You fell into our arms
You fell into our arms
We tried but there was nothing we could do
Nothing we could do

All evidence has been buried
All tapes have been erased
But your footsteps give you away
So you're backtracking

Ah ah ah
You fell into our arms
You fell into our arms
We tried but there was nothing we could do
Nothing we could do
You fell into our, ah
You fell into a

We're rotten fruit
We're damaged goods
What the hell, we've got nothing more to lose
One gust and we will probably crumble
We're backdrifters

That could be interpereted very, very negatively... But I don't think it should be. If you ask me, despite the "there was nothing we could do" bit, it's a song, in a way, about confidence, and about being comfortable in one's role.

Thing two: Questions.

I'm considering a major, major site redesign. Major, major. As in, not only moving off of blogger, but finally creating myself an actual homepage, more than just a blog.

One of the things that I really, really want for this is a personal Wiki. For those of you who don't know the term, a Wiki is a user-editable webpage. (It comes from the name of the original one, the WikiWikiWeb, which comes from the Hawaiian word "wiki", meaning "fast" or "quickly".) For a great, great example of this, check out the Wikipedia, an entire encyclopedia built by the users.

Why do I want a personal Wiki? First off, I'll be frank: Because Wikis are just plain cool. Also, it means extreme editability. I could edit any part of the page, from anywhere, at any time, pretty much. Good stuff. It also means that I'll have a place on the web to store my own personal projects... A web notepad of sorts, but one where I could easily make my notes available to the general public (a.k.a. you all).

There's a third reason I want a Wiki: I want to foster more interactivity. I think it'd be awesome if there could be a section of my site where you all post your own ideas and rants and anything else you felt like posting. Don't worry, Wiki's don't require that you know a thing about web coding. I promise.

So that's question number one: Would you use my Wiki if I had one? I'm going to create one whether you say yes or not (I'm kinda expecting to not get much response to this), but I'm just wondering if this seems like as great an idea to you all as it does to me.

I thought I had more questions, but actually that's about it. So instead, I'll just outline what I'm planning to do. Basically, the entire site will be a Wiki, although I'm probably going to lock certain pages so that only I can edit them... That goes against the idea of a Wiki, but, for instance, I think the front page that everyone sees should stay pretty constant. Also, the blog itself'd probably be uneditable, other than comments, of course.

I'd also integrate my "Linkography," for those of you who remember that project of mine. I'd probably tie it in to my personal bookmark-type-thing, so it'd turn into more of a "linklog"... As I find stuff, it goes there. I might sort it later.

That's all I'm going to say at the moment. I'm not really sure how much of this will ever happen, yet, so I'll just stop.

Until then, keep backsliding, I suppose.

-lelandpaul