9.17.2004

an anecdote

I heard a great little anecdote, today.

God comes down to a man and decides to take him on a tour. First he'll take him down to hell, then up to heaven, so that he knows what his choices are, in effect. First, the man is taken down to hell. When he arrives, there is a banquet in progress. Everyone is sitting around with delicious food... Unfortunetally, they all are being forced to eat with four foot long chopsticks, making it impossible to ever actually consume the food. "Wow," says the man, "that's horrible! Can you take me up to heaven and show me the alternative?" God agrees, and takes him up immidietally. IN heaven, another banquet is in progress. Again, everyone is eating the wonderful food with four foot long chopsticks. But this time, they're feeding each other.


I know that for some of you I've been a little absent of late... And I'm sorry about that. I've been trying to get into the swing of school and still have time to work on my personal work... And unfortunetally that's meant that I've fallen out of contact with those of you that I don't actually see on a daily basis. Rest assured that I will respond, soon.


That said, of the many things I've been doing with my time, one of them has has been listening to Bjork's new album Medulla. It has a lot of really stunning lyrics, all of which are going to find their way up here in rapid succession over the next few days.

Many of the lyrics are focused on body imagery, particularly the inner body, as is appropriate with a title like Medulla. Thus, I'm starting off with one completely exemplifying this idea:

Triumph of a Heart
The nerves are sending
shimmering signals
all through my fingers
the veins support
blood that gushes
pulsively towards

The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all
The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all

The stubborn trunks
of these legs of mine
serve as pathways
for my favourite fuel
heading upwards towards
my kidneys

The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all
The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all

Smooth
soft, red
velvety lungs
are pushing a network
of oxygen joyfully
through a nose
through a mouth
but all enjoys
all enjoys

The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all
The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all
The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all
The triumph of a heart - that gives all : that gives all


-lelandpaul