3.20.2005

small and plentiful

Well, I have something big I want to post, that a few of you know about. However, I'm taking another couple of days to rework it. But while I've been waiting for that post, a bunch of little things have been gathering around my desktops that I've been waiting to get out there. So here we go, in reverse chronological order:

How many of you here have seen 'Singing in the Rain'? Any that have, you're doing better than me. But even I can appreciate the beauty of this clip... Its one of those advertisements that really qualifies as art.
Gene Kelly Poppin'
It took three dancers to make that. Out of them, I've seen one (by the name of David Elsewhere) before. I swear, the guy is made of jello. Piezoelectric jello, maybe, but jello none the less.

Next up: This is the story of a school teacher who taught his third graders to use binary arithmetic... And did it purely through the use of the Socratic method. He didn't tell his students anything. He simply asked them questions. A beautiful demonstration of masterful teaching.

Finally: From Language Log, my favorite linguistics blog, an article detailing the linguistic evidence we have that homo sapiens actually came in contact with homo florensis, the so-called "hobbits" of Indonesia. Read up: It's in pretty friendly language, and absolutely astounding. I won't try to summarize it here.

I'll post again with another mythopoeia rant soon. Until then... I don't know. I'll leave it up to you.

-lelandpaul